For the past few weeks, I have been listening to podcasts during my long commute to work. Kenyan radio has really become boring, plus I was looking to start my day with some food for thought. Something that would challenge my current mindset and basically overhaul it.
I began with Jesus and Jollof by Luvvie Ajayi and Yvonne Orji, two Nigerian immigrants who have made it in America. Their podcast is both uplifting and entertaining as they speak about the challenges they faced as they built their careers and relationships, and how everything they do is deeply rooted in their faith.
Oprah’s soul sessions are also pretty cool, and the best interview for me so far was with Paulo Coelho. I must remember to read the alchemist again.
Today I stumbled upon Robin Sharma’s podcast, on why your words matter. He said something that really resonated with me.
We were born to be leaders, not constructed to be victims.
I have really been playing the victim these past few months. I constantly have been asking myself:
- Why am I not good enough?
- Why are these things happening to me?
- Why do I keep getting rejected?
- Why am I getting so many Ls?
- What have I done to deserve all of this?
I have just been constantly feeling sorry for myself and twisting everything to make myself the victim. I thought about this a lot in traffic today and started crying even because I don’t even know how to think like a leader. I’m so wrapped up in feeling bad about my current situation.
I got some perspective and let me give this other way of thinking a shot:
- I have a heart of gold, all those people who have taken me for granted will realise they made a big mistake.
- I am stronger than all of my nos.
- I always do my best in everything that i do, and this will never go in vain.
- I am more than enough, too bad for all those who do not see it.
- I feel things and I will be vocal about those feelings.
- My season of yes is on the way, and this is preparation for me to savour it.
I don’t want to play the victim anymore. There is opportunity in every situation and I hope I can purpose to find it.