MTV, PEPFAR and UNICEF are the brains behind Shuga which was launched in 2009. It is a drama revolving around young people and the trials and tribulations of their love lives. I loved the first Shuga, I think it was one of the best dramas to ever be filmed in Kenya, with talented actors, excellent filmwork. They showcased the beauty of Nairobi, how much talent we have in terms of the film and music industry. The story line was gripping, the actors were talented and the message was bang on. This was one of the few local shows which did not make me want to barf when couples made out *thumbs up*.
Come 2012 and they did it again in a bigger and better way by releasing Shuga: Love Sex Money which was 6 episodes long. This time they recruited even more talent, engaging storylines, and famous artists like the likes of Avril, 9con, Banky W and Wizkid.
Shuga is not only interesting but the message really hits home. Check out the first 4 episodes below and I guarantee it will change the course of your thinking.
- How hot is 9con (Femi) and Nick Mutuma (Leo) ? *Fans self*.
- Skylux never looks that awesome whenever I go there.
- The wardrobe and makeup is really top notch!
- There wasn’t any of that over acting common with Kenyan actors.
- I wish Lupita Nyongo also acted in addition to her directing role.
Be safe and protect yourself,